Over one million companies and organizations in at least 170 countries are certified with the ISO 9001 Quality Management System. ISO or the International Organization of Standardization is the organization responsible for defining and implementing ISO standards. ISO is made up of a group of different representatives from a variety of proprietary, industrial, and commercial standard organizations. ISO 9001 is the world’s most popular and well-known quality management system standard.
The ISO 9001 standard is designed to help organizations to be efficient and successful in meeting the needs of their customers. Implementing the ISO 9001 quality management system can improve the performance of any business regardless of its size, type, product, or service if implemented correctly. The ISO 9001 Quality Management System certification can be beneficial to your customers, employees, and your organization in general.
Benefits to your business:
- Increased potential for profitability and market share
- Efficient resource management
- Elimination of recurring problems or anomalies
- Improved brand image and credibility.
- Increased process automation and integration
- Improved organizational efficiency and effectiveness
Benefits to your customers:
- Being a credible, reliable, and high-quality vendor to your customers
- Improved customer satisfaction
- Efficient handling of customer complaints and feedback
- Ability to address customer complaints before they become out of control
Benefits to your employees:
- An improved business performance which ensures job security.
- Clearly defined and streamlined roles and responsibilities resulting in higher job satisfaction
- Increased efficiency of employees due to improvement in training, planning, and organizational structuring.
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement
- Employees feel more engaged and responsible for the development implementation and optimization of the processes they are using
ISO 9001 Principles
ISO 9001 Quality Management System is built around eight fundamental principles called the ISO 9001 Principles. ISO 9001 adapts a process-oriented approach to the standard through more than 20 procedures. The purpose of implementing these procedures is to ensure customer satisfaction by offering safe and high-quality products and services. The following are the eight ISO 9001 principles.
- Customer Focus – The focus of the ISO 9001 quality management system is customer satisfaction. By consistently meeting their expectation you will create an opportunity to develop your business.
- Connect quality objectives to customer expectations
- Maintain customer relationships
- Maintain customer satisfaction
- Encourage direct feedback from customers.
- Leadership– Here the expectation is that leadership of the organization establishes and maintains a work environment that engages and motivates its employees across the organization to achieve quality objectives. Communication of the mission, vision, strategy, policies, and processes clearly across the organization is key.
- Engagement of People – Engagement of people is one of the most essential principles of ISO 9001. Involving employees in the decision-making process at every level enables them to be more competent. They need to understand the importance of and value of their contributions. Competent and better able to help you achieve your quality objectives and meet customer needs.
- Process Approach – ISO 9001 quality management system includes a wide array of interrelated processes intended to produce consistent and predictable results.
- Control your process and analyze the impact of any changes in the process.
- Create SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-bound) Objectives and have formal processes to achieve them
- Proactively manage risk to optimize the overall performance of your organization.
- Involve all stakeholders in defining and understanding your processes
- System Approach to Management – Success is attained when processes are managed as one cohesive quality management system. The process approach is part of this system approach. Performance of your Individual process will improve when you develop a coherent system.
- Continual Improvement – Continual improvement is an ongoing focus ISO 9001 Quality Management System. Organizations look for new opportunities, to improve their products, services, and processes. Investigating customer complaints, identifying the root cause, and implementing sustainable corrective actions are crucial to an ongoing focus on improvement.
- Factual Approach to Decision-Making – During this decision-making process, Organizations establish an evidence-based decision-making process. They analyze and evaluate data gathered from multiple sources to consider potential consequences and to come up with the best business decisions.
- Mutually beneficial supplier relationships – This is the ISO 9001 Principle that focuses on your relationships with external entities such as suppliers, customers, investors, and other vendors. Effectively managing these external relationships will increase your ability to enhance the performance of your organization by delivering value to your products and services
ISO Plan Do Check Act
A core element or stage of the ISO 9001 Quality Management System is Plan Do Check Act or PDCA. It is the methodology that is being applied to all ISO 9001 Quality Management Systems. This is a sustained model for improvement that is applied to the ISO 9001 standard as its main goal is continual improvement
Plan – Planning starts with understanding the context of the organization and the needs of parties interested in the organization which is used to define the scope of the ISO 9001 Quality Management System. The Quality Policy, Quality Objectives, Resources Competence, Awareness, and Documented Information are derived at this stage.
Do – Establishing controls needs to carry out the plan is the center of this stage. Identifying product or service requirements, designs & development, externally provided processes, and release of products or services are the focus of this operational stage ISO 9001 QMS.
Check – This is the system to evaluate your Quality Management system to ensure that your processes are being carried out as planned. Internal Audit Management Review processes are conducted during this stage.
Act – This is the phase where your organization identifies any issues or non-conformities and addresses them with necessary corrective, and if needed preventive actions. Continual improvement is the key here.
FREE ISO 9001 CONSULTATION: Liberty Management Group (LMG) offers a free, onsite ISO 9001 consultation. Whether you are just starting out on building a quality management system from scratch or need to evaluate your existing system for ISO 9001 certification, our experienced consultants will be able to give advice and guide you through the entire process of implementation and certification of ISO 9001.
After the initial onsite visit, we will provide you with an estimate of the cost and time frame of the ISO 9001 implementation and certification process. No contract or commitment is required unless LMG is selected to provide any further service.